Thursday, August 21, 2008

Your imagination is your own worst enemy

I was talking with a guy the other day who spent the day at work all freaked out that he was about to be fired. It seems that early in the morning his boss told him that the boss's boss wants to speak to the guy about performance issues later in the day. Of course the guy freaked out and imagined the worst possible scenario. Turns out it was just a "good job" type of meeting.

About 12 or 13 years ago, a guy I was friends with in my office got fired for cause. One of the reasons was he was working for his own company while working at our office. He was also recruiting our employees to work with him. About a day or two before he was fired he recruited me and I told him no and left it at that. All of the sudden he's fired and, about an hour after the news became known, my boss called me to come to his boss's office for a sudden meeting.

I remember walking there with dread, figuring this was somehow related to my friend's firing (I was aware of some of his other shenanigans and ignored them as they were minor). At the time I was going to graduate school on the company's dime and saving for my upcoming wedding & I kept thinking my friend just totally farked me. I get to the office and my whole team is there. Turns out it was just an impromptu meeting on something else entirely different and my boss wasn't even aware of my friend's firing (different department). The only thing I remember from the meeting was being very relieved.

Moral of the story: Your imagination is your own worst enemy.

No comments: