Thursday, October 2, 2008

Has the NY Jew jumped the lox?

I just read an article about how success has ruined the NY Jew, accusing us of jumping the shark aswe assimilated into America and let Jewish NYC become a Jewish city run by non-Jews Meh. We didn't jump the shark, we moved to NJ, Westchester, LI and Boca. I can find plenty of old style kosher delis where I live now, a Jewish NJ suburb of reform, conservative and orthodox Jews. Same for bagels. BTW, the best bagels in the city are not made by H&H -- if you know where to look, you can find better. Yes, we're your Americanized grandchildren, yet we still go to temple, still associate and marry Jews (though many assimilate and marry non-Jews), still follow the traditions, which have warped over the years etc.

My grandparents generation, the first one born in America, forged their own path by not using a matchmaker and moving from the Lower East Side to Brooklyn. My parents generation moved to Queens, LI, NJ, Westchester and Staten Island. My generation is leaving the NYC area. My parents stopped going to the lower East Side to see their grandparents over a half century ago. My grandma, grandpa and all the Brooklyn aunts and uncles of their generation are long gone, so there is not much tying us there. That my generation has gone back to areas we, meaning my parents and grandparents, came from speak not so much as a return home, but because those areas became hip again in the 90s and 00s. I root for the Mets not so much because they are the underdog, but because I lived in Queens in the 1970s when Mets tickets were easy to get, as the team stunk. As opposed to the Yankees, the Mets were more fun for children in those days, with events like banner day and the ability to get to the railing to get autographs, unlike Yankee Stadium where I never even sat in the field level until they hit rock bottom in the late 80s. I might've remained a Jets fan too, but I never forgave them for abandoning Shea, but that's another story.

It was fun while it lasted, but the 5 boroughs are not home anymore. As our parents generation fades into the sunset, many of the cousins of my generation are leaving the NYC area. Some live as Jews, others do not, just as previous generations did or did not. Of course, thanks to the antisemitism that is still in existence in many parts of the country, those who wish to remain Jewish, go to areas where there are Jews, which explains in part why I have many friends and family in concentrated areas around the US. The Diaspora continues in the US, but as long as parents choose to raise their children as Jews, which has to come from within the heart, we will still flock to Jewish areas.

No comments: