Friday, September 3, 2010

Political party poopers

Far fewer 18- to 29-year-olds now identify themselves as Democrats compared with 2008. That would be fine if we weren't stuck with a two party system. Instead we are froced to choose the lesser of two evils because, to be frank, I have no faith that either party wants to do what is best for the average middle class American.

The one thing I learned in college is that the Republicans were not my friends. Even if I agreed with them on some issues, and probably would have been happy in their party in the early 1970s, I discovered they were too two faced to be trusted (not that the Democrats were much better). They preached freedom, yet campaigned on taking away rights as they campaign on a platform of fear and hate. They preached fiscal conservatism, yet borrowed and spent like there was no tomorrow. I've seen them transfer wealth from the middle class to the wealthy, making the reality of our parents' lives the impossible dreams of our children.

And let us not forget their discrimination of anyone educated with their elitism comments, which I find ironic as it was their actions in making it impossible for college graduates to lose their student loan obligations in bankruptcy thus forcing them to remain soulless cubicle drones, assuming they can find a job, to pay back their debts. I'm not a big fan of the Democrats, I think they spend to much on entitlements and not enough on investing in the country's infrastructure, but if my choice is of the two -- it sure won't be the narrow minded, Glen Beck, intolerant, anti-civil rights, freedom hating Republicans. You sleep with dogs, you get fleas.

No comments: