Saturday, January 3, 2009

Money for nothing and tax cuts ain't happening

NJ's Governor has finally realized the state is broke and wants to slash the state's budget by a few billion. Yay. He wants to do this, in part, by freezing the salaries of state workers or even ... gasp .... laying them off. Do the state workers getting their salaries frozen or, possibly being laid off, include political appointees who don't really provide anything not already being done by the people actually doing the work? Cause that I approve. If he's going to noose a few guys at the motor vehicle office, meaning I spend a day instead of just an hour or so conducting my business, then I might have a problem.

Personally, I'd like to see the Governor attack the bureaucracy. If you don't personally serve the public, or can someway prove you directly supervise or work with those who do, you should expect to be forced to justify your position. Can't do it, expect to look for a new job or take additional responsibilities. As to salary freezes and benefit reductions: my company will still have raises, but the percentage will be dropped to about 2%. Benefits aren't being reduced per se, but we'll have to pay more.

By the way, if we ever get the finances in order, we really need to invest in automating our back offices. How much head count is needed to answer questions or provide directions to the public that could easily be provided automatically via the internet? For example, I needed to call an office for some information on how to do something and, more importantly, fill out some forms. Why did I call? Because the information wasn't available on the internet. Instead, I spoke to a real live person, which was nice in this day of automated service, who gave me the information I needed. When I hung up, I realized that the information could have been provided on the internet. That made me wonder: how much of our human resources expenses could be reduced by simply investing in a better computer system?

Of course, financial problems aren't limited to NJ. There is a chance that interest on the national debt will eat up most of the federal budget by 2010; not some time in the future -- this year. This is what happens when you pay the minimum on your credit card balance. Let's face it, the economic "boom" of the 00s was from maxing out the country's credit cards. Worse, we don't really have anything concrete to show for it. I could understand it if we had plowed the money back into our nation's infrastructure, as an investment into our economy that would pay for itself in the coming decades, but that would've been duller than the fun we had.

No comments: