Thursday, April 19, 2012

What was a typical weekday dinner at your house when you were a kid?

In our busy lives, my wife and I don't have much time to cook during the week. Instead, we cook for the week over the weekend and just nuke thr food in the microwave when we are ready to eat -- this week it is roasted veggies and chicken for my wife and I, turkey burgers I grilled ahead of time for the kids (plus side of that is my wife and I can flavor the food the way we like it). This isn't how it was when I grew up. 

Dinner was what I imagine to be somewhat  typical for the 1970s. Not too imaginative, pretty much whatever could be cooked easily after my mother got home from school (she was a teacher). But it was freshly cooked each night unless we were having leftovers for some reason -- and even then, in those non-microwave days, reheating the food could take a little time.

Most evenings we'd wait for my dad to come home from work between 6 & 6:30, unlike now where my wife and I are rarely home together for dinner as we run around with the kids or go to the gym. TV would go off and then my mom would serve whatever she had cooked which was usually hamburgers, meatloaf (both of which which became turkey meat when the price of red meat skyrocketed), chicken, spaghetti or mac and cheese. Sometimes we'd be tortured with liver but that also went away when red meat prices rose. Can't recall the sides, probably a potato and peas. Beverage was usually juice or soda unless we were having pasta in which case we would have milk. Friday evening was always chicken and challah. If my parents were going out, TV dinners in the metal trays you had to put in the stove would be served instead (which we considered a treat).

Today, as I noted above, it is usually whatever I cooked earlier in the week that can be nuked. Sometimes a frozen hot dog or peanut butter and jelly sandwich is substituted for the burger (which is only recent as it has become nice enough for me to grill again), a salad for my wife and I. The weekend may be a little more traditional, where we make a meal and sit down as a family, but that is becoming less frequent as the children get older. I feel like we are missing something this way but that is the 21st century for you.

No comments: