Sunday, May 25, 2008

The Fifth Column

One of the great things about the United States is that I can express myself and criticize our government by expressing myself on a page like this without fear of retribution from government officials.

Born in the late 60s, my first real political memory is Watergate. I do not have many memories of the Ford administration (aside from the Daily News's "Drop Dead" front page). I recall the Carter years as one of gas lines and the hostage crisis. Later, I recall, during my 7th grade lunch period, the students counting down the minutes to the end of Carter's presidency, followed, 40 minutes, later by cheering students when the principal announced the Iranian embassy hostages were free. At the time, I thought the Republican party was king and the Democrats were wimps. While my left leaning, but far from liberal, parents, were upset by Reagan's budget cuts (and as New Yorkers that made sense since we were paying more in federal taxes then we were receiving in federal aid), I saw some of his moves as necessary to right a bloated government (at least as per my limited understanding of the time). Though too young to vote for President in 1984, my dad was appalled that I voted for Reagan over Mondale in my high school's class mock elections.

Today, I look at the Republicans of the 1980s and wonder what happened to them. The GOP points at Reagan's outspending the Soviet Union, and bringing democracy (or at least ending Communism) to Russia as a point of pride. However, the GOP is still living on the fumes of events, climaxing with the fall of the USSR, that occurred almost two decades ago.

When I look at the Republican party of today all I see is a party of incredible fiscal irresponsibility that will leave massive debts for me and my children. I see a party that is short sighted, refusing to invest in their own nation to ensure that we remain a strong super power in lieu of quick profits today. They lie about WMDs to grab some cheap oil from a guy, evil in his own right, but of no real harm to America, just because he was an annoying thorn in their side (sticks and stones ... ) who they were tired of. Worse, I see a party refuse to take care of the veterans whose lives were destroyed by their "oil war." I see a party unafraid to call un-patriotic anyone with the nerve to question them (and, to be fair, that was a bipartisan thing back in 2003), something that should be a basic part of a functioning democracy in our republic. When I think of the worse terrorist attack on the US, I see the Republicans in charge. I see a party happy to use the Constitution as toilet paper, harping and flaming the fears of average Americans to maintain their hold on power. I see a party happy to use torture on prisoners, despite the harm this may do to our own, captured soldiers, not to mention what that does to our image of ourselves as the "good guys."

Contrary to that, the Democrats seem to be the source of fiscal responsibility (I'm talking national level). They may raise taxes, but at least they don't leave as big a bill as the next guy. They even balanced the budget for a few years. More importantly, they at least show a little respect for civil rights.

I'm not a "liberal pinhead" by any means. I'm a socially liberal, fiscally conservative American citizen. And, as an American citizen, I can't vote for the fifth column Republicans any longer.The GOP needs to lose, and lose badly this fall. Cleaning house might be the only way they get the deadwood out. I don't agree with everything the Democrats stand for and, I realize, they are only slightly to the left of the GOP, beholden to many of the same corporations/supporters of the GOP. However, I will hold my nose and gladly vote Democratic down the line this fall in the national elections.

One of the great things about the United States is that I can express myself and criticize our government by expressing myself on a page like this without fear of retribution from government officials. I want it to remain that way for my children and grandchildren.

No comments: